Sep 9, 2008

Lessons Learned

Just in case there is a repeat of some of the mishaps experienced on training week, we've put together this handy tool kit that I'm quite convinced could fix just about everything on a boat. In fact, used creatively, we could even build a boat with this stuff:

jig-a-loo
needle-nose pliers
regular pliers
vice grips
hammer
Phillips screwdriver
flat head screw driver
1200 km of tape (variety of colours)!
duct tape
scissors
sail repair tape
spinnaker repair tape
extra tell-tales (Cathy has some in her lifejacket)
2mm spectra - a whole spool
shackles & snap shackles
split pins & rings, (clevis pins, cotter pins)
winch handle
snatch blocks

and a first aid kit - the kind for self-repair instead of boat repair.

Now that I've learned that snatch blocks are different than a chastity belt, I'm still not sure what we could possibly use a hammer for; this is supposed to be about potential repairs not destruction but hey, if it fits in the small tool box we may as well bring it. Can you ever be too prepared?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girls,

As I'm writing this, you are probably all on your way to Ashbridges Bay. I just wanted to wish you good luck and lots of fun. I'll be thinking of you. I'm doing Race Committee for the HYC Club Championships on Saturday. It's not quite the same as actually sailing, but at least I'll be on the water and I'll get to watch the HYC stars and hopefully, who knows, learn a few things.

Sail fast, have a blast!

Femke