Aug 22, 2008

Humbled in Hudson

I've let a few of you in on my feelings about my trip back to Hudson last week and decided to state it publicly - simply because I want to state for the record how awesome I think you all are.

Moving to Hudson was tough. Really tough. I left the mountains to move to a town where I was a complete fish out of water. Everyone there knew each other and I was the new girl that seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. And then some personal tragedy struck just a few months after I arrived and I started to see just what kind of a community Hudson really is and proved to be over the next few years.

But there I was with a bunch of accomplished sailors and the only part of the boat I felt at home with was the bottle of rum. Or, I should say, scotch. Bud Cluett fed me so full of scotch on my first long distance race that I had to hold on to the spinnaker pole Ken was carrying back to the parking lot just to get there - swaying the whole way. (That man is a legend.)

It was hard to feel like I didn't live in a bit of a shadow during the time I lived there. While I felt very accepted immediately and all of the stereotypes I had about stuck-up Yacht Clubs were quickly quashed, I sort of wondered how much that really had to do with ME.

Then along came the opportunity to do this regatta and spend 10 days in Hudson this summer. I was a bit nervous walking into the club for the first time but quickly I realized my acceptance there had nothing to do with any shadow. It had to do with a fantastic, welcoming, thoughtful bunch of wonderful people I'm really happy to call friends.

Several of you had really kind words for me through the week and each of them made a difference to me - a big difference.
I was overwhelmed at my welcoming and the open arms that greeted me last week. And I now know for certain what good friends I have there.

I look back and am really proud of what I (together with the crew of Penny Wise) accomplished in Hudson. We did well, we broke records and we laughed so hard and had such a good time. I'm so happy the Women's sailing program is still a success. And, best of all, now I feel like I can call myself a sailor. I was taught very well and I am so grateful for that. So appreciative.

Leaving Hudson was a good choice to make. However, I can't tell you how much I knew I'd miss the Yacht Club and how many tears I shed the night of the Sailor's Awards dinner that I missed. And I was right, springtime arrived and I wanted to be sanding a boat. Replacing windows. Rigging. Fiddling. Painting. Drinking beer in the parking lot talking about sailing.

I'm really happy back out west. I love it here. And I have a place to sail here and someone to sail with who thinks I have great skills on a boat.
Now I get to wish for the snow to fly instead of the ice to melt and that's equally good, just different.

And I get to look forward to each and every time I'll set foot back in Hudson and am able to see all of you. And I couldn't be happier about racing with an HYC burgee on my sleeve; it just all feels right.

No comments: