Aug 21, 2008

Blatent Nepotism

What goes around comes around; I am a huge believer. I think what you put out to the universe comes back to you in spades so I am going to do a bit of that here.

In 2003 I had the good fortune to take a road trip through Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine visiting family and friends along the way. Along the way we ended up in Portland visiting my wonderful friends Bentley and Brenda Collins, who I really didn't know back then. They work (and live?) for Sabre and Backcove Yachts.

Bentley, keen to show us the coast line from the water side, geared us up in Sabre logos and led us to the most beautiful boat I have ever sailed (and ever will I imagine). It was hull #1 of a 426; a luxury, hand crafted specimen that we would spend the day on.

Low and behold, along came one of the finest yacht photographers to capture this little outing; a pre-planned photo shoot for her inaugural sail that we happened upon at the perfect time. At one point Bentley had to ask me to please stop screaming because it wouldn't show well in the photos. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and the heeling over of the boat was making me quite nervous but I was to look like I was having the time of my life, please and thank you.

I guess I did pretty well because along came the next month's publication of Sail Magazine with our photo on the cover. Sailors work a lifetime for that sort of exposure and there I was, front and center. And then along came the catalog featuring us prominently - a full glossy photo of me at her helm no less. Then along came next year's calendar published by the photographer and weren't we 'a month'.

I didn't know the boom from the mast when that happened but I had a super fantastic day. I certainly had no idea what was to come for me in the sport but that was the start of it all pretty much and now that I know what I'm doing on the water, I'm telling you, that boat, she was a beauty. They just don't get much better - the people or their boats.

http://www.sabreyachtsblog.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it! Sara - you captured exactly what I would wish for anyone to ever feel about going out for their first 'real' experience out on a sailboat. Reading this post, I felt like i was right back there on my first sail on a Sabre 426. Looking forward to catching up and meeting you in Toronto in a few weeks. I'm writing a post to your page from our blog(s) right now... cheers!

Anonymous said...

Wish I were with you. My first sail was 25 years ago and the thrill was unbelievable out in the Atlantic Ocean in NH, a 32' Sluthe (I think). I've done some spotty sailing with friends and never got enough. Now today, my husband and I live in VA and motor boat, but we are planning on retiring in a couple of years to a live aboard and are looking at motor sails.
I also have a company called Boats and Women and have a website that will go live the end of October with a 12 week teleseminar course for women who want to know more about boats, lots of facets to explore and will probably extend it beyond the 12 weeks. Our speakers are great.
I get so excited when I read about people like you who are really living out their dreams...